The Board Report is the Gresham-Barlow School District's summary of regular school board meetings. In the Board Report, you will find the superintendent's monthly report on the school district, a summary of action taken by the district's board of directors, and information about individuals honored by the school board. The Board Report is published after every regular school board meeting. If you live in Gresham, you can watch board meetings LIVE on MetroEast Community Media Comcast Cable Channel 27 and Frontier Cable Channel 35. If you live in Damascus, you can watch a tape of the board meeting on Willamette Falls TV every Saturday at 1 p.m. on Cable Channel 23.
Below you will find the latest edition of the Board Report.
To view back issues click here.
Meeting of February 5, 2015
Board Members Present: Chair Matt O’Connell, Kris Howatt, Carla Piluso, Kathy Ruthruff, Dan Chriestenson, Sharon Garner, and Kent Zook
Gresham High School senior Sirgeo Hoffman
The board recognized Gresham High School Senior Sirgeo Hoffman who was selected First Team All-State Running Back through a vote of the state’s 6A head coaches. Sirgeo was the Offensive Player of the Year in the Mt. Hood Conference this past season and was also selected as a First Team All-Mount Hood Conference Running Back. He rushed for 1,863 yards, which led the state, and scored 23 touchdowns his senior season. Many college football programs are pursuing Sirgeo.
Citizens’ Requests of the Board
There were no citizens’ requests of the board.
Superintendent Schlachter provided an update to the school board on a variety of education issues.
Reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA)
Superintendent Schlachter shared potential changes to the act and shared a report that outlines President Obama’s fiscal year 2016 budget request for education.
Oregon Legislative Session
The superintendent highlighted key issues related to K-12 Education, to include:
- Oregon Education Investment Board (OEIB): The OEIB sunsets at the end of this legislative session unless the legislature votes to reauthorize OEIB or modify it.
- Funding for K-12 Education: The superintendent shared that statewide K-12 education funding of $7.875 billion is required for the Gresham-Barlow School District to maintain its current educational program and add full-day kindergarten.
School Board Retreat
The school board will meet in a daylong retreat on February 20. The following topics will be reviewed:
- Strategic planning for the 2020 vision
- Equity work
- Technology plan
- Disciplinary practices
- District and school improvement planning
- Pathways through high school to career or college work
- Curriculum adoption needs, challenges, and plans
- Athletic fields project update
- Future school construction bond planning
APPROVED, ratifying the resolution recognizing March 2-6, 2015 as Classified School Employees Week in the Gresham-Barlow School District
March 2-6, 2015, has been designated as Classified School Employees Week. The resolution passed by the school board acknowledges the importance of a strong local school system and the contribution that classified employees make to that system.
APPROVED, the appointment of the following board representatives for high school commencements
Adult Living Program: June 1 at 7 p.m.
Board Members: Matt O’Connell and Carla Piluso
Springwater Trail High School: June 10 at 7 p.m.
Board Members: Dan Chriestenson, Matt O’Connell and Kathy Ruthruff
Sam Barlow High School: June 13 at 12:00 p.m.
Board Members: Kris Howatt and Kent Zook
Gresham High School: June 13 at 3:30 p.m.
Board Members: Sharon Garner and Carla Piluso
APPROVED, authorizing district staff to move forward with the planning and preparation for full-day kindergarten in the 2015-16 school year
Beginning in the 2015-16 school year, the state of Oregon will include full-day kindergarten in the state school funding formula. The administration will begin recruiting early learning teachers, determining curriculum needs for the additional classrooms, developing a full-day instructional model, and planning professional learning to ensure that expectations are consistently high and programs are similar across the district.
APPROVED, authorizing district staff to proceed with planning the scope of work, budget, construction schedule, fundraising, and loan terms for the urgent items at Gresham High School
At the last board work session, the administration outlined upcoming needs at Gresham and Sam Barlow High Schools. Needs were categorized as “urgent” and “horizon” in terms of timing.
The administration requested authorization to proceed with the following work:
- Create a comprehensive plan for outdoor athletic stadium facilities for both large high schools with the understanding that the district will rely on a General Obligation Bond to fund most of the improvements.
- Finalize the scope of work, budget, and construction schedule for Gresham High School’s field turf and drainage, track repair and rehabilitation, and relocation of the bleachers and light poles to the outside of the track area (These items are considered urgent).
- Solicit donations (both cash and in-kind) to help fund the project and explore the use of professional fundraisers.
- Issue a term sheet to area banks for loan purposes. The loan should not exceed ten years based on the useful life of the turf.
- Take board action to allow for refunding/pay off of the loan with General Obligation Bond proceeds from a future bond.
Board Mid-Year Planning Session
Center for Advanced Learning
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Regular Board Meeting
Public Safety and Schools Building
Can’t Attend Board Meetings?
You can watch regular school board meetings LIVE on Comcast cable channel 27 and Frontier cable channel 35. MetroEast Community Media replays the board meeting at the following times:
Second Showing-Monday at 7 p.m.
Third Showing-The following Thursday at 4 p.m.
If you live in Damascus-
Board meetings are shown on Willamette Falls TV for patrons in the Damascus area. They are scheduled for cablecast on channel 23 every Saturday at 1 p.m.