Agreement reached in negotiations between
the Gresham-Barlow School District and
Oregon School Employees Association
The Gresham-Barlow School District and the Oregon School Employees Association (OSEA) have reached an agreement for 2017-20.
The agreement was approved by the members of the Oregon School Employees Association and approved by the school board during their meeting on July 6, 2017.
The agreement includes the following changes:
Article 8 Personnel Files
- Language that clarifies that employees may request to have letters of directive or reprimand removed from their personnel files
Article 9 Transfers and Vacancies
- Language created to clarify hiring process
Article 11 Leave with Pay
- Aligns sick leave language with the Oregon Sick Time Law
- Aligns bereavement leave language with Oregon law
- Modified the language that all personal leave will be approved by principal and/or supervisor
Article 12 Leave without Pay
- Aligns language with current practice of review of unpaid leave requests
Article 15 Tuition Reimbursement/Employee Enrichment
- Clarifies that members will retain ownership of materials and equipment that is included in workshops and classes
Article 19 Vacation
- Modifies vacation accrual account
- Clarifies the request and approval process
- Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) 2% in 2017-18
- Add a step at the top of the salary schedule (2%) and drop bottom step in 2018-19
- Add a step at the top of the salary schedule (2%) in 2019-20
- MOU to finalize the combining of some split range positions
- MOU to finalize the details regarding a cell phone stipend for some positions
- $1,200 cap in 2017-18
- $1,200 cap in 2018-19
- $1,250 cap in 2019-20
Article 24 Fair Share
- Aligns language with our practice and state law
Article 26 Job Description Review
- A committee will be formed to review the job descriptions (20% each year) to update language. 100% of the job descriptions will be reviewed in five years.
Article 34 Term of the Agreement
- The agreement will be effective as of July 1, 2017 and will remain in effect through June 30, 2020
Interest-based bargaining used
To develop the tentative agreement, the two groups used an interest-based approach to bargaining. This approach focuses negotiations teams on determining shared interest and working together to identify solutions based on those interests.
The GBSD’s negotiations team was made up of seven administrators and a school board member. The OSEA’s team consisted of ten members from the classified association.
Classified staff members who have questions can contact OSEA Co-Presidents Renni Ferguson at firstname.lastname@example.org, Erika Fuller at email@example.com or GBSD Executive Director of Human Resources Randy Bryant at firstname.lastname@example.org.