McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
Education for Homeless Children and Youth
Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015, (ESSA)
The federal government's legal definition of homeless is based on the McKinney-Vento Act for children and youth, includes anyone who...
- Is lacking a fixed, adequate and regular nighttime residence (sub-standard housing)
- Is sharing housing due to economic struggles (doubled-up)
- Is living in a shelter, hotel or motel
- Is living in a public place not designed for sleeping (cars, parks)
- Is an unaccompanied youth, not living with a parent or guardian
- Is a child or youth abandoned in a hospital
We can help.
We may be able to assist you with the following if you qualify under McKinney-Vento …
- Immediate enrollment
- Assistance with academic fees
- Transportation to school of origin (school attended when qualified for MV) if in the best interest of the student
- Free meals at school
- School supplies
- Referrals to rental and housing assistance
Contact the Gresham-Barlow School District Federal Programs office at 503-261-4579 for more information.