March 30, 2020
Dear West Orient Families,
As you know, Governor Brown has issued an executive order stating that schools will remain closed until April 28th. While we understand that this causes concerns and raises questions about what is next for your children, we continue to appreciate your partnership in helping to flatten the curve of the spread of the coronavirus. It is our responsibility to work to help keep people safe, and to try and reduce the demand on our medical facilities and professionals. Remember during this new reality, that even though there are unanswered questions and reasons for concern, to practice kindness and compassion, and that staying focused on things that are within your control will help minimize anxiety and stress.
Here is a resource for understanding Covid-19 and talking with your children about it.
You will soon hear more information about how we plan to support students academically. All staff returned to work this week for planning. Teachers will be reaching out to all families on Monday March 30th, and a learning plan will begin with students on April 6.
If you haven’t already done so, please complete the following survey regarding your technology access. https://forms.gle/a239Dp3hm1pqVF3B9
Thank you for your patience and grace and we find ourselves in a situation we never imagined. We will continue to send information and updates your way. #LevelUp
Take care and be safe,
Fred Meyer Rewards Card Fundraiser
You can help WOMS earn donations just by shopping with your Fred Meyer Rewards Card!
- Sign up for the Community Rewards program by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to West Orient Middle School at www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards.
- You can search for us by our name or by our non-profit number, TN147.
- Then, every time you shop and use your Rewards Card, you are helping West Orient Middle School earn a donation!
- You still earn your Rewards Points, Fuel Points, and Rebates, just as you do today.
- If you do not have a Rewards Card, they are available at the Customer Service Desk of any Fred Meyer store.
Parents & Guardians,
Communication with our families and safety for all students are very important to us at West Orient Middle School. Here are a few key items to to help ensure communication and student safety.
- Please update your contact and emergency contact information often. Many time we are unable to contact families when needed. In case of an emergency it is imperative that we are able to reach you.
- ParentVUE is an important tool to track your students grades, absences, class schedule, change demographic information and much more. If you do not have a ParentVUE account please contact the office at 503-663-3323.
- Log into ParentVUE
- Download ParentVUE Getting Started Guide (pdf)
- Periodically we send out School Messenger Broadcast email messages. Please do not unsubscribe from receiving these messages. We try to only send out important information to you as we do not want to overwhelm you with too many messages. If you unsubscribe you will miss receiving important information. Please contact the office if you would like to re-establish the email connection and begin receiving our email messages.
2020 Immunization Results
The State of Oregon requires schools to notify parents of their immunization rates for each required vaccine. These rates will be posted on our school’s website, in our school office, and sent home to parents. The rates attached are the exemption rates as of the February exclusion date - which is always the third Wednesday of that month. Schools are required to publish this information twice each school year. These rates will be posted within thirty days of the February exclusion date. The same information will be shared again during the first month of school next school year. Again, these rates are collected and tallied each February.
School board approves boundary changes
Program to serve students struggling with drug and alcohol use
OMEA has awarded its Outstanding Administrator Award to Sam Barlow High School Principal Bruce Schmidt
Two schools will participate beginning fall 2020
Degrees and Certifications:
I’m Elise Catanese, principal of West Orient Middle School, home of the WOLVERINES. As a community of learners, the students and staff at West Orient Middle School strive to practice respect, responsibility, relationships, and results. High standards and expectations for each student in regard to academic performance and responsible citizenship are the foundation of our school. It is with pride that we hold these high standards and ask each of our students to commit to maintaining the extraordinary record of achievement and contribution that has been the legacy of West Orient Middle School students.
What we celebrate:
- High academic and behavioral standards.
- Dedicated and collaborative staff that focuses on teaching and learning to improve student growth and achievement.
- Positive and safe school climate & culture.
- Strong level of parent and community support.
- Project based learning with our STEAM elective classes at 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.
- Updated technology including one-to-one computers, interactive whiteboards and projectors, amplification devices, chromebooks, and an updated infrastructure.
- Bond improvements: new classroom furniture, floors & paint, and new security upgrades.
Wolverines are EPIC! Engaged Persistent Intentional Career and college ready
All students are socially, emotionally, and academically prepared to reach their fullest potential.
Communication is key to student success! All school information can be found on our school website, westorient.gresham.k12.or.us. Our weekly newsletter, Wolverine News, contains the most current information including school announcements, upcoming events, important dates, and school celebrations. Wolverine News is emailed to parents on Tuesday afternoons and we upload a copy under the Wolverine News link on our school website. ParentVUE is another valuable communication tool that provides parents and guardians access to information regarding their child’s academic progress, current grades, attendance activity, and class schedules via the internet. You can sign up for ParentVUE during registration on August 21. Both Wolverine News and ParentVUE can be found on our school website. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @WOMSwolverines.
We have officially started the 2019-20 school year with a "Level Up" attitude! Now it’s time to LEVEL UP our attendance, behavior, and academics to build a successful community of learners. I’m grateful for our amazing staff that has the necessary skills to ensure each student is socially, emotionally, and academically prepared to reach their fullest potential. As your principal, it is important that everyone who steps through our doors - staff, students, and parents - are excited to be here! This attitude enables us to meet the challenges of academic success in a positive, fun and nurturing environment. I look forward to working with all of you to achieve our collective goals! Now let’s LEVEL UP and make this the most EPIC year ever!!!
If I can ever be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
West Orient Middle School