Fall Scholastic Book Fair
November 12th - 15th
Student Success Act - We want to hear from you!
Wednesday mornings from 8:30am - 9:30am
Beginning on October 2nd
Attention 7th & 8th grade Boys
Are you interested in playing Basketball?
If so, it is time to get your paperwork filled out! You will need an Insurance Waiver, current physical and the fee paid to the office!
Tryouts will be November 12th-15th.
West Orient has a NO cut policy…..so everyone plays!!!
Parents & Guardians,
Communication with our families and safety for all students are very important to us at West Orient Middle School. Here are a few key items to to help ensure communication and student safety.
- Please update your contact and emergency contact information often. Many time we are unable to contact families when needed. In case of an emergency it is imperative that we are able to reach you.
- ParentVUE is an important tool to track your students grades, absences, class schedule, change demographic information and much more. If you do not have a ParentVUE account please contact the office at 503-663-3323.
- Log into ParentVUE
- Download ParentVUE Getting Started Guide (pdf)
- Periodically we send out School Messenger Broadcast email messages. Please do not unsubscribe from receiving these messages. We try to only send out important information to you as we do not want to overwhelm you with too many messages. If you unsubscribe you will miss receiving important information. Please contact the office if you would like to re-establish the email connection and begin receiving our email messages.
As part of our work to improve school attendance at West Orient we want to make sure every student misses no more than 9 days of school, or 1 day a month. Attending school has a huge impact on student success.
Look for the following student attendance incentives.
- Raffle prize drawings
- Prize incentives
- Recognition bulletin board
Absences can add up. Missing just two days every month puts students at risk of falling behind. Please let us know how we can best suppport you and your student so that they can show up for school on time every day.
Harvest Hustle Fundraiser
Our Goal is to raise $15,000!!! This fundraiser supports our school’s investment in technology, school improvements i.e. a new PA system in the gym, student furniture, STEAM lab equipment, our Positive Behavior program and Teacher Grant Fund. These programs touch every classroom and every student at West Orient.
This FUNdraising event creates SCHOOL SPIRIT and RAISES MONEY for INNOVATIVE and CREATIVE LEARNING opportunities for your STUDENTS!
A flier was sent home last week! (Flier attached).
For every $20 your student turns in, they will be entered into a Prize raffle! We will be giving away tons of prizes!
~Students can turn in Cash or Check donations to the Front Office. Please include STUDENT NAME and Homeroom Teacher when turning in $$.
~Online donations can be made here: https://squareup.com/store/
orient-parent-teacher-club (Enter the STUDENT NAME in the NOTE to MERCHANT when checking out, so that your student receives credit for the donation)
~Turn in Donations from NOW thru OCTOBER 18. FINAL DAY is 10/18.
Please ENCOURAGE your student to FUNDRAISE. TOGETHER, We can ACHIEVE this GOAL!!
SIGN UP to VOLUNTEER at the HUSTLE: https://www.
Questions?? Email - WOVolunteer@gmail.com
West Orient's Calendar of Events for the 2019-2020
West Orient's Calendar of Events is a great source of information all in one easy to view format. This is a compiliation of activities and events happening this year at West Orient Middle School.
Student Registration Information
Enrollment Packet (New students to our district)
Spanish Enrollment Packet (New students to our district)
Fred Meyer Rewards Card Fundraiser
You can help WOMS earn donations just by shopping with your Fred Meyer Rewards Card!
- Sign up for the Community Rewards program by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to West Orient Middle School at www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards.
- You can search for us by our name or by our non-profit number, TN147.
- Then, every time you shop and use your Rewards Card, you are helping West Orient Middle School earn a donation!
- You still earn your Rewards Points, Fuel Points, and Rebates, just as you do today.
- If you do not have a Rewards Card, they are available at the Customer Service Desk of any Fred Meyer store.
Proposed Social Science Resources
A teacher selection committee has recommended the adoption of McGraw Hill’s Networks as the new primary Social Science resource for GBSD middle school classrooms. Networks is a combination of digital and print resources aligned with the new social science standards adopted by the Oregon Department of Education. With school board and budget approval, these resources will begin being used in classrooms in the fall of 2019.
Stop by the school to see a sample of the student textbooks, or click on this link https://www.gresham.k12.or.us/Page/8164 to see digital samples.
Reach out to Director of Teaching and Learning at email@example.com with your feedback or questions.
Early Arrival & Late Departure of Students
West Orient’s school hours are 9:05am – 3:35pm.
There is morning supervision available in the cafeteria beginning at 8:35am on M, Tu, Th & F and 9:35am on Wednesdays.
Students should not arrive to school prior to these times unless they are attending our Wednesday morning Math iReady from 8:30am – 9:30am. Students should be dropped off at the cafeteria door and not the front office.
In the afternoon there is no supervision of students after 3:35pm. Students should be picked up no later than 3:45 pm. There is no after school supervision available. Thank you for your understanding while we work to keep all children safe.
2019 Immunization Results
The State of Oregon requires schools to notify parents of their immunization rates for each required vaccine. These rates will be posted on our school’s website, in our school office, and sent home to parents. The rates attached are the exemption rates as of the February exclusion date - which is always the third Wednesday of that month. Schools are required to publish this information twice each school year. These rates will be posted within thirty days of the February exclusion date. The same information will be shared again during the first month of school next school year. Again, these rates are collected and tallied each February.
Cook to begin serving in new role January 6
2019-20 school board will convene July 11
Degrees and Certifications:
I’m Elise Catanese, principal of West Orient Middle School, home of the WOLVERINES. As a community of learners, the students and staff at West Orient Middle School strive to practice respect, responsibility, relationships, and results. High standards and expectations for each student in regard to academic performance and responsible citizenship are the foundation of our school. It is with pride that we hold these high standards and ask each of our students to commit to maintaining the extraordinary record of achievement and contribution that has been the legacy of West Orient Middle School students.
What we celebrate:
- High academic and behavioral standards.
- Dedicated and collaborative staff that focuses on teaching and learning to improve student growth and achievement.
- Positive and safe school climate & culture.
- Strong level of parent and community support.
- Project based learning with our STEAM elective classes at 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.
- Updated technology including one-to-one computers, interactive whiteboards and projectors, amplification devices, chromebooks, and an updated infrastructure.
- Bond improvements: new classroom furniture, floors & paint, and new security upgrades.
Wolverines are EPIC! Engaged Persistent Intentional Career and college ready
All students are socially, emotionally, and academically prepared to reach their fullest potential.
Communication is key to student success! All school information can be found on our school website, westorient.gresham.k12.or.us. Our weekly newsletter, Wolverine News, contains the most current information including school announcements, upcoming events, important dates, and school celebrations. Wolverine News is emailed to parents on Tuesday afternoons and we upload a copy under the Wolverine News link on our school website. ParentVUE is another valuable communication tool that provides parents and guardians access to information regarding their child’s academic progress, current grades, attendance activity, and class schedules via the internet. You can sign up for ParentVUE during registration on August 21. Both Wolverine News and ParentVUE can be found on our school website. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @WOMSwolverines.
We have officially started the 2019-20 school year with a "Level Up" attitude! Now it’s time to LEVEL UP our attendance, behavior, and academics to build a successful community of learners. I’m grateful for our amazing staff that has the necessary skills to ensure each student is socially, emotionally, and academically prepared to reach their fullest potential. As your principal, it is important that everyone who steps through our doors - staff, students, and parents - are excited to be here! This attitude enables us to meet the challenges of academic success in a positive, fun and nurturing environment. I look forward to working with all of you to achieve our collective goals! Now let’s LEVEL UP and make this the most EPIC year ever!!!
If I can ever be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
West Orient Middle School