April 26, 2019 - Regular School Day
May 8, 2019 - No School
Semi-formal School Dance
- Friday, May 10th
- 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
All inclusive paperless ticket $10.00.
Tickets can be purchased online at Online ticket sales-LINK
**Please note, the cost of the online ticket is $11.50.**
Ticket sales will be available Monday, April 22nd - Wednesday, May 8th.
~Pre-sale only, tickets will not be available at the door.~
Ticket price includes music, photo booth, snacks, drinks and FUN!
Dance held at West Orient MIddle School.
*Please drop off and pick up your child in the back parking lot.*
**Students MUST remain at the dance and stay inside the school the entire time.
***This is an Orient PTC sponsored event***
Dear 5th Grade Friends and Families,
The West Orient Middle School (WOMS) 5th Grade Parent Night has been scheduled for Wednesday, May 15th from 5:30 – 6:30 PM. We want to invite all incoming 5th grade students and their parents to join us for an evening of introductions, orientation and classroom visits. You’ll have the chance to meet teachers, tour the school and classrooms, and hear about the programs and opportunities available next year at WOMS. Light refreshments will be served. Please plan on joining us for this important transition event. Our aim is to make every student and family welcome as your student starts his/her middle school career!
Sincerely, Elise Catanese, Principal
West Orient Middle School
Five Guys Burgers & Fries
PTC Fundraising Event
- Monday, April 29, 2019
- 10:30am - 10:00pm
- 2595 SE Burnside Rd
- Gresham, Oregon
Be sure to mention West Orient and Five Guys will donate 15% of the proceeds to the Orient PTC Teacher Grant Fund.
Fred Meyer Rewards Card Fundraiser
You can help WOMS earn donations just by shopping with your Fred Meyer Rewards Card!
- Sign up for the Community Rewards program by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to West Orient Middle School at www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards.
- You can search for us by our name or by our non-profit number, TN147.
- Then, every time you shop and use your Rewards Card, you are helping West Orient Middle School earn a donation!
- You still earn your Rewards Points, Fuel Points, and Rebates, just as you do today.
- If you do not have a Rewards Card, they are available at the Customer Service Desk of any Fred Meyer store.
Proposed Social Science Resources
A teacher selection committee has recommended the adoption of McGraw Hill’s Networks as the new primary Social Science resource for GBSD middle school classrooms. Networks is a combination of digital and print resources aligned with the new social science standards adopted by the Oregon Department of Education. With school board and budget approval, these resources will begin being used in classrooms in the fall of 2019.
Stop by the school to see a sample of the student textbooks, or click on this link https://www.gresham.k12.or.us/Page/8164 to see digital samples.
Reach out to Director of Teaching and Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org with your feedback or questions.
Cold and flu-related illnesses
Date: February 14, 2019
Dear Parents, Guardians,
We are seeing flu-like illness in our school community. Symptoms can include fever, sore throat, and /or cough. Here are some suggestions to help you protect your health:
- Be sure that you and your family get the flu vaccine; this is the most important action to prevent or minimize an influenza infection.
- If you are pregnant or have a serious health condition, contact your healthcare provider to discuss antiviral medications if you or anyone in your family has flu like symptoms.
- Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds each time:
- Before eating or drinking.
- After using the toilet or changing diapers.
- After coughing, sneezing or using facial tissues
- Before touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
When water and soap are not available, alcohol-based hand cleaners can be used.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with tissues or by coughing into the inside of your elbow.
- Keep sick children home. Do not send them to school if they are sick. If they become sick at school you will be called to come pick them up. Make sure your emergency numbers are up to date.
- People who are sick should stay home from work or school and stay away from other people until they are free of fever for 24 hours (without fever reducing medications like acetaminophen and ibuprofen) and are feeling better.
If you have questions please call your school nurse or health care provider.
Dear Parent or Guardian,
The current measles outbreak investigation in Clark County, Washington, raises questions about what parents should know in order to keep their children safe, and what their school will do if a case of measles is confirmed at their site.
Here are some important points to keep in mind:
- Measles is highly contagious. If a case is confirmed in a school or child care center, the health department will review all staff and student vaccination records to determine the risk of further spread.
- Keeping children in school/childcare is a priority, but measles is a serious disease. If an unvaccinated person is exposed to measles, they will not be allowed to go to school or child care during the time period when they could become sick, usually for 21 days after exposure. This may be extended if there are more measles cases.
- People excluded from school or childcare after a measles exposure are asked to stay home to avoid exposing others in the community.
- Now is a great time for all families, teachers, and school administrators to review their vaccine records and get their vaccines up to date.
Thank you for your partnership.
Jennifer Vines, MD, MPH
Deputy Health Officer
Multnomah County Health Department
Thank you Orient PTC & Local Businesses
for helping with our school's Harvest Hustle fundraiser!
Receiving these funds will allow our school to purchase Chromebooks, water fountains and more.
Early Arrival & Late Departure of Students
West Orient’s school hours are 9:05am – 3:35pm.
There is morning supervision available in the cafeteria beginning at 8:35am on M, Tu, Th & F and 9:35am on Wednesdays.
Students should not arrive to school prior to these times unless they are attending our Wednesday morning Math iReady from 8:30am – 9:30am. Students should be dropped off at the cafeteria door and not the front office.
In the afternoon there is no supervision of students after 3:35pm. Students should be picked up no later than 3:45 pm. There is no after school supervision available. Thank you for your understanding while we work to keep all children safe.
ODE 30-day notice for statewide tests & Opt-out form
State Testing Notice
In 2010, Oregon adopted higher K-12 standards in English Language Arts and Math to ensure all students move from
grade to grade with the academic knowledge and skills necessary for success beyond high school. Because we raised the
bar for what we expect students to know and be able to do, we have also changed the way we measure student progress
through our state tests, known as Smarter Balanced. For more information, please see the flyer - Click Here
2019 Immunization Results
The State of Oregon requires schools to notify parents of their immunization rates for each required vaccine. These rates will be posted on our school’s website, in our school office, and sent home to parents. The rates attached are the exemption rates as of the February exclusion date - which is always the third Wednesday of that month. Schools are required to publish this information twice each school year. These rates will be posted within thirty days of the February exclusion date. The same information will be shared again during the first month of school next school year. Again, these rates are collected and tallied each February.
Student Registration Information
Enrollment Packet (New students to our district)
Spanish Enrollment Packet (New students to our district)
Sifuentes finalist in Cintas' contest, voting underway
Degrees and Certifications:
I’m Elise Catanese, principal of West Orient Middle School, home of the WOLVERINES. As a community of learners, the students and staff at West Orient Middle School strive to practice respect, responsibility, relationships, and results. High standards and expectations for each student in regard to academic performance and responsible citizenship are the foundation of our school. It is with pride that we hold these high standards and ask each of our students to commit to maintaining the extraordinary record of achievement and contribution that has been the legacy of West Orient Middle School students.
What we celebrate:
- High academic and behavioral standards.
- Dedicated and collaborative staff that focuses on teaching and learning to improve student growth and achievement.
- Positive and safe school climate & culture.
- Strong level of parent and community support.
- New STEAM elective classes at 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.
- New technology including interactive whiteboards and projectors, amplification devices, chromebooks, and an updated infrastructure!
- New bond improvements such as new classroom furniture, floors & paint, and new security upgrades.
We are proud of these accomplishments and look forward to building upon them in the upcoming school year.
Our theme for the 2018-19 school year is “DOn’t quIT” At West Orient, our common goal is to prepare every student for success, NO EXCUSES! We want each and every student to improve, grow, and achieve! We will accomplish this together with a DO IT, Don’t Quit mindset.
Student registration will be on Tuesday, August 21, 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Please note that school pictures will be taken during registration. We strongly encourage you to register your child at this time to ensure a smooth enrollment.
Communication is key to student success! All school information can be found on our school website, westorient.gresham.k12.or.us. Our weekly newsletter, Tuesday News, contains the most current information including school announcements, upcoming events, important dates, and school celebrations. Tuesday News is emailed to parents on Tuesday afternoons and we upload a copy under the Tuesday News link on our school website. ParentVUE is another valuable communication tool that provides parents and guardians access to information regarding their child’s academic progress, current grades, attendance activity, and class schedules via the internet. You can sign up for ParentVUE during registration on August 21. Both Tuesday News and ParentVUE can be found on our school website. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @WOMSwolverines.
Our school is getting a new and refreshed look! We are very excited about our new classroom furniture, fresh paint, new floors, security upgrades and more! We can’t wait for you to see it! Thank you again for supporting the bond and Gresham/Barlow schools!
I wish you all a wonderful school year. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and know that my door is always open. I can be reached at 503-663-3323 or email@example.com. I look forward to an amazing year!
West Orient Middle School