Hello, Future Wolverines!
Welcome to West Orient Middle School.
Please click on the links below to learn all about West Orient Middle School!
- West Orient Middle School Presentation
- This presentation is self-paced. Please review each slide to learn more about our school and what it is like to be a middle schooler. In addition, be sure to click on the teacher videos to learn more about who they are and what they teach.
- School Video - Watch this video to get a more indepth look into our school and community.
- Follow school updates on our WOMS Twitter and Gresham-Barlow SD Twitter
We’re excited to meet YOU and we look forward to seeing you in the fall.
Principal West Orient Middle School
West Orient's School Theme
2020-2021 School Year
Thursday, June 11, will be the last day for our Distance Learning meals program. Servers will hand out meals for both June 11 and June 12.
Our Summer Food Program begins Monday, June 22. Meals will be provided to families at the summer meal sites listed below. We will continue to hand out grab and go lunches and the next day’s breakfast at the same time.
Note: There will be no meals program the week of June 15 - June 19.
Summer Meals Sites
June 22, 2020 - August 14, 2020
11:30 am to 12:30 pm
Note: All sites closed July 3
North Gresham Elementary School
1001 SE 217th Avenue
Gresham, OR 97030
East Gresham Elementary School
900 SE Fifth Street
Gresham, OR 97030
Highland Elementary School
295 NE 24th Street
Gresham, OR 97030
West Gresham Elementary School
330 W. Powell Blvd.
Gresham, OR 97080
Multnomah County Library in Gresham
385 NW Miller Avenue
Gresham, OR 97030
Dear West Orient Community,
“The ultimate measure of a person is not where one stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where one stands in times of challenge and controversy.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.
In these challenging times, we stand together. It’s difficult to find the words to express the emotions we are all feeling right now. It’s time for everyone, ourselves included, to stand up against racism and injustice. We will start by saying that we have a lot of work to do. While we don’t have all the answers, we are committed to listening, learning, and understanding our students and community.
We believe that every student who walks through our doors deserves to be treated with respect, fairness, and dignity. We will continue to work together to build a positive and safe community where ALL students feel welcome. We will work towards eliminating inequities and injustices from our school. We will continue to uphold the values of inclusion and equity and support for all of the students that we serve. This is where we stand and this is the journey to which we are committed.
We are ALL in this together.
West Orient Staff
To our Students, Families, and Community,
Over the last couple months our community has shown immense strength, flexibility, patience, and collaboration as we came together to make Distance Learning for All work for our students and families.
The staff of West Orient wanted to express their words of encouragement and thanks with a Purple Ribbon Message to our Community.
Please take a moment to watch the West Orient Middle School Outreach Slideshow, and THANK YOU to the Gresham-Barlow Community for “Leveling Up!” during these unprecedented times!
Stay Safe 💟 Stay Strong 💟 Stay Kind 💟
Wolverines are EPIC!
The West Orient Staff
Pandemic EBT Food Benefits for Families
Pandemic EBT is a program that provides financial assistance to help families pay for groceries during school closures. All K-12 students who qualify for free and reduced meals are eligible for this benefit in addition to the daily grab-and-go meals. If you are school-wide free and reduced, all families are eligible. Immigration status does not matter for Pandemic EBT benefits. Pandemic EBT will not count in a public charge test.
Families that currently have SNAP benefits will automatically have benefits loaded onto their EBT cards. Those that currently do not have an EBT card, will automatically have one mailed to them with instructions. Benefits are equal to the price of school meals over the month.
Sodexo will be sending out information on this benefit to families. Please share widely both internally and with your community partners. Flyer attached.
For additional food resources visit the GBSD website under Covid-19>Family Resources or under the Parent Resources tab>Community Resources.
Fred Meyer Rewards Card Fundraiser
You can help WOMS earn donations just by shopping with your Fred Meyer Rewards Card!
- Sign up for the Community Rewards program by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to West Orient Middle School at www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards.
- You can search for us by our name or by our non-profit number, TN147.
- Then, every time you shop and use your Rewards Card, you are helping West Orient Middle School earn a donation!
- You still earn your Rewards Points, Fuel Points, and Rebates, just as you do today.
- If you do not have a Rewards Card, they are available at the Customer Service Desk of any Fred Meyer store.
Parents & Guardians,
Communication with our families and safety for all students are very important to us at West Orient Middle School. Here are a few key items to to help ensure communication and student safety.
- Please update your contact and emergency contact information often. Many time we are unable to contact families when needed. In case of an emergency it is imperative that we are able to reach you.
- ParentVUE is an important tool to track your students grades, absences, class schedule, change demographic information and much more. If you do not have a ParentVUE account please contact the office at 503-663-3323.
- Log into ParentVUE
- Download ParentVUE Getting Started Guide (pdf)
- Periodically we send out School Messenger Broadcast email messages. Please do not unsubscribe from receiving these messages. We try to only send out important information to you as we do not want to overwhelm you with too many messages. If you unsubscribe you will miss receiving important information. Please contact the office if you would like to re-establish the email connection and begin receiving our email messages.
2020 Immunization Results
The State of Oregon requires schools to notify parents of their immunization rates for each required vaccine. These rates will be posted on our school’s website, in our school office, and sent home to parents. The rates attached are the exemption rates as of the February exclusion date - which is always the third Wednesday of that month. Schools are required to publish this information twice each school year. These rates will be posted within thirty days of the February exclusion date. The same information will be shared again during the first month of school next school year. Again, these rates are collected and tallied each February.
School board approves boundary changes
Ruthruff will be remembered for devotion to District's students
Award honors educators who inspire a love of learning
Degrees and Certifications:
I’m Elise Catanese, principal of West Orient Middle School, home of the WOLVERINES. As a community of learners, the students and staff at West Orient Middle School strive to practice respect, responsibility, relationships, and results. High standards and expectations for each student in regard to academic performance and responsible citizenship are the foundation of our school. It is with pride that we hold these high standards and ask each of our students to commit to maintaining the extraordinary record of achievement and contribution that has been the legacy of West Orient Middle School students.
What we celebrate:
- High academic and behavioral standards.
- Dedicated and collaborative staff that focuses on teaching and learning to improve student growth and achievement.
- Positive and safe school climate & culture.
- Strong level of parent and community support.
- Project based learning with our STEAM elective classes at 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.
- Updated technology including one-to-one computers, interactive whiteboards and projectors, amplification devices, chromebooks, and an updated infrastructure.
- Bond improvements: new classroom furniture, floors & paint, and new security upgrades.
Wolverines are EPIC! Engaged Persistent Intentional Career and college ready
All students are socially, emotionally, and academically prepared to reach their fullest potential.
Communication is key to student success! All school information can be found on our school website, westorient.gresham.k12.or.us. Our weekly newsletter, Wolverine News, contains the most current information including school announcements, upcoming events, important dates, and school celebrations. Wolverine News is emailed to parents on Tuesday afternoons and we upload a copy under the Wolverine News link on our school website. ParentVUE is another valuable communication tool that provides parents and guardians access to information regarding their child’s academic progress, current grades, attendance activity, and class schedules via the internet. You can sign up for ParentVUE during registration on August 21. Both Wolverine News and ParentVUE can be found on our school website. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @WOMSwolverines.
We have officially started the 2019-20 school year with a "Level Up" attitude! Now it’s time to LEVEL UP our attendance, behavior, and academics to build a successful community of learners. I’m grateful for our amazing staff that has the necessary skills to ensure each student is socially, emotionally, and academically prepared to reach their fullest potential. As your principal, it is important that everyone who steps through our doors - staff, students, and parents - are excited to be here! This attitude enables us to meet the challenges of academic success in a positive, fun and nurturing environment. I look forward to working with all of you to achieve our collective goals! Now let’s LEVEL UP and make this the most EPIC year ever!!!
If I can ever be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
West Orient Middle School