Check Out Policy
Amount of Materials Allowed Per Student Per Week
All students in all grades may check out one book per week. An additional book may be checked out per teacher request.
- Students will return their book(s) in the classroom designated return bin prior to the library visit per teacher instructions.
- Students are not allowed to check out new books unless they return the books they checked out from the previous week(s).
Overdue Books: One to Three Weeks
- If students do not return or renew their book(s) for one to three weeks, students will be told in the library that their book(s) are overdue. They will be told the titles and how much the books will cost to replace if they are not returned.
- An overdue notice will be printed and given to the classroom teacher at the end of the library visit.
- Teachers will send this home with students for parents to see.
- Students can either return the book(s) or pay the replacement amount listed for each book checked out.
Note: Replacement books will not be accepted in lieu of the money due or the actual book students checked out from the library. Many of our library books are special library bound copies to withstand the wear and tear of multiple uses.
Overdue Books: One Month
- If students do not return their book(s) for one month, the same procedure as above will occur.
- In addition, a phone call home will be made and an overdue notice will be mailed to the address of record.
Overdue Books: Two Months +
- If students do not return their book(s) for two months +, the same procedure as above will occur.
- In addition, the book(s) will be marked as lost in our library system.
- An overdue notice will be sent home weekly with the price to replace the books(s).
- After the second monthly phone call, no other phone calls will be made.
- Students will not be allowed to check out books until the replacement amount is paid or the books are returned.
Student Transfers within or out of GBSD
The office will notify the library when they learn of a student transfer either to another school at GBSD or out of GBSD. The library staff will perform the following actions in order 1-4.
- Attempt to retrieve the books/materials directly from the students with information about payment for lost materials.
- Call the parents to locate and retrieve the materials with information about payment for lost materials.
- Seek support from the classroom teacher to retrieve the materials.
- Send a letter or email to the new school on record with payment information and the book/materials will be marked as lost in the library system.