Planning for Fall 2020
July 31, 2020
GBSD Return to Learn: Fall 2020 Update
Distance Learning Overview
Dear GBSD Families,
As we previously shared with all families, the Gresham-Barlow School District will provide a more comprehensive instruction and curriculum model for our students completely online through at least mid-October. The first day of online instruction is September 14, 2020 and all currently enrolled students will be automatically enrolled.
The school district will monitor and utilize metrics for schools released by the governor’s office along with the Oregon Health Authority to determine when it is safe to resume face-to-face instruction. We will alert you of any changes and want to share some information about fall 2020.
How is GBSD preparing to ensure the health and safety of all students and staff
Since the end of the school year in June, a cross-functional team of administrators and instructional leaders have:
- Reviewed our instructional and operational options in various scenarios
- Assessed various reopening strategies and transportation options
- Established safety guidelines, procedures, and readiness metrics
- Acquired personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Conducted safe building capacity and identification of usable space
- Led virtual surveys and webinars with GBSD families, staff, and administrators
Why a more comprehensive distance learning curriculum
We have reviewed, listened, and heard you. We understand and we have taken action.
Team GBSD has:
- Reviewed parent/family survey feedback on how we can improve distance learning
- Gathered webinar feedback and suggestions
- Compiled FAQs and identified where we can build on the successes
- Condensed content curriculum and pacing guides
- Evaluated online curriculum options that support both student and teacher
What to expect fall 2020
This fall will be different from spring 2020.
Our comprehensive distance learning instructional focus will be known as eGBSD and feature:
- A comprehensive, cohesive, and robust K-12 online platform featuring a learning management system (LMS)
- Instruction led entirely by our very own Gresham-Barlow teachers
- Regular and predictable schedule for online meetings with teachers and classmates
- Standards of practice that lead to academic success in a virtual environment
- Improved engagement with classroom and group activities
- Consistent and regular teacher feedback on academic work and real academic grades
- Regular group check-ins with a teacher advisor for social and emotional connection
- Support for technology usage for students and families
- A device for all students and wifi where needed
To sum things up, expect a more comprehensive, cohesive, and robust online educational program focused on teachers consistently connecting with students and families. We know that for this program to truly serve our students, we must place a priority on providing social-emotional support during this challenging time. Our aim is to provide a meaningful learning environment where students feel connected. A challenging, but not impossible goal given the dedicated professionals serving in our schools.
Because we will begin the school year with online instruction for all students K-12, there are no signup requirements or deadlines. All currently enrolled GBSD students will be automatically enrolled. When it is possible to resume in-person instruction, families will have the opportunity to determine whether they want to make that transition or continue with eGBSD online-only instruction but all students will continue to have access to the online materials.
The Gresham-Barlow School District and your child's school will provide more details as we get closer to the beginning of the school year. There are many decisions to be made between now and September 14th along with changing guidelines to monitor. We will continue to actively work on addressing concerns, assessing the health and safety status, and providing any necessary training for our teachers, staff, and administrators.
We are compiling a list of “Frequently Asked Questions” and we will share it when it is finalized. Please regularly check the Gresham-Barlow School District Website for updates and if you have any questions, please submit them to our online listening system “Let’s Talk” for a prompt response.
Thank you again for all you do to support your student(s) and our school district!
Gresham-Barlow School District
GBSD Family Emails Archive: COVID-19 Pandemic