- Gresham High School
Gresham High School Teen Parent Program
Gresham High Teen Parent Program
The Gresham High School Teen Parent Program provides an essential service to pregnant and parenting students. The program is based on the premise that teen parents will be more successful in school if they can access quality childcare on-site and participate in classes that enhance their understanding of age-appropriate parenting skills.
The Child Development Center provides teen parents, and other students, experiential learning opportunities that emphasize positive care giving and parenting skills for infants, toddlers, and preschool age children.
Since it’s inception in 1997, almost 200 teen parents have been encouraged to utilize CDC child care services and participate in the Teen Parenting Seminar and Teen Parent Supervision classes. The teen parents must enter into a contract to maintain 80% overall attendance and make academic progress in order to receive services and cost-free childcare for their child.
- To provide services and community connections which promote graduation for pregnant/parenting teens.
- To provide a school-based contact and support system for pregnant/parenting teens in a traditional high school setting.
- To provide instruction as it relates to parenting skills, life skills, child development and supervised childcare training.
- To provide consistent support and ongoing case management services for pregnant/parenting teens that must balance their personal and educational responsibilities.
- To provide high quality childcare services for teen parents, including age appropriate activities and experiences.
- To support each students’ transition to post-secondary education or other post-high school preparatory programs.
We are proud partners with Mt Hood Community College's Early Head Start program. All teen parents enrolled in the Program will be automatically enrolled in MHCC's Early Head Start Program also and will receive all those services through the school Center.
Teen Parenting Program
Program Coordinator: Julianne Standish
Serving Infants (6wks. to 18 mths); Toddlers (18 mths to 35 mths); and Preschoolers (3 yrs to 5 yrs)
Certified through State of Oregon
Oregon Employment Department, Child Care Division
Certification # CC501348